- Fill out an adoption application HERE.
- You should receive an email confirming receipt of your application immediately, and you should hear from an IAR volunteer via email within 2-3 days to confirm that your application has been processed.
- If you know which animal or animals you’d like to meet, we will put you in touch with the cat or dog’s foster parent. PLEASE NOTE that the animal you applied for may have multiple applications and not be available by the time your application is processed.
- Once your application has been approved, the foster parent will contact you to discuss if it is a good match and to set up an initial “meet and greet” with the animal. We also do vet, personal and landlord checks.
- FOR DOG ADOPTIONS, the foster parent will bring the dog to visit your home in person to make sure your home is safe and secure for a new companion animal. Dog adoptions generally begin with a trial period in which the dog stays with you for as long as a week to be sure that you have a good match before you commit to adopt. The trial period should be scheduled when you have adequate time to supervise the dog in his/her new environment.
- FOR CAT ADOPTIONS, the foster parent will arrange a meeting either at an adoption event, our office or the foster home. If the meet and greet goes well , a home visit will be performed before or during the time the cat is delivered. Cat foster parents deliver all foster cats and finalize the adoption onsite at that time.
- If there are multiple applicants for the same animal, the foster parent will do his/her best to keep all applicants informed of the animal’s status. We seek the best home from the available applicants.
- The foster parent makes the final decision as to whether or not an adoptive home is a good match for the animal. The foster parent knows the animal better than anyone, and has the authority to refuse any application that he/she feels is not a good match.
Note: IAR makes every effort to please our adopters, but our first concern must be for the animal’s welfare. We reserve the right to deny any application.