Before you continue, please read and confirm you are eligible to adopt.
- You must live within 60 miles of Durham, NC.
- You must be able to make a commitment to the cat for it’s lifetime. Cats can live 20+ years.
- You must be at least 21 years of age.
- You may not be an undergraduate student.
- You must be a US citizen or permanent resident.
- You must allow a home visit (virtual home visits during Covid)
- Current pet(s) in the home must be spayed/neutered.
- Current pet(s) in the home must be up-to-date on vaccinations and be established with a veterinarian. Dogs must be on year-round heartworm prevention, cats must be felv/fiv negative and both cats and dogs must be on regular flea/tick prevention.
Kittens 6 months of age or younger must be adopted with another kitten or into a
household with a young cat (general guideline of 2 years or younger but on a case by case basis.)
Please check the kittens profiles to verify who they can be adopted with before submitting an application for them. Most kittens have already been paired up with a sibling/buddy.
If you are interested in adopting one of our animals, please fill out and submit an online adoption interest form.
PLEASE BE AWARE that Independent Animal Rescue is an organization of volunteer foster homes, located primarily in the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area of North Carolina. Thank you!